Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back to writing

Necessity may well be the mother of re-inventing the wheel. To save two particular eyes from excessive exposure to computer screens while composing the next blog post (not this one), I am back to the good old-fashioned method of composition. It's nearly been forgotten in our computer age. It's called writing. You know, manual writing. Using your hand to move a pen across paper.

Also, I hate to sound anti-technology, but I can't help wondering if writers that had to write instead of type were better writers for it. No copy, paste, insert, backspace. Sure, drafts can be scribbled out on paper; but then, what if your one sheet of paper is your ONE SHOT? Then you'd better get it right the first time - either know exactly how you're going to do it, or have a brilliant brain that assembles everything as you go.

1 comment:

Ma Hoyt said...

I used to think that writing by manuscript had literary advantages, but I have found, that once the fingers actually begin the physical process of tapping the keyboard, thoughts start popping into my head.

This didn't use to happen when writing by hand. Of course, I was half brain-dead from lack of sleep, back then...